Potty training can be a challenging journey for kids, even more for the parents. Here are some of our sanity savers.
1. Buy a book on potty training. Read it, then burn the damn thing when you realize your child doesn’t want to do as suggested.
2. Laugh hysterically at every potty training article that suggests you can do it in three days or less! Yeah, right.
3. Invest in carpet cleaner. Lots of it. Better yet, buy a steam cleaner for your house. You are going to need it.
4. Buy treats to encourage your child to use the potty. When they refuse to pee or poop on the potty, eat the treats yourself. You deserve a reward for not going insane!
5. If you have a friend whose child magically potty trained themselves in a matter of days, avoid any potty training conversation with them. They do not understand the struggle. Then, wish that they will understand with their next child.
6. Wipesare your best friend! Stock up, seriously, stock up!
And, most importantly, keep your sense of humor and patience. It will happen, just in their time, not yours.